What is required to start a team?
- Head coach (Parent or School teacher)
- A team of up to 16 students. Multiple teams are allowed.
- Registration fee: $100 per team.
- One-time SO fee: $20 per team – 2015 ONLY.
- School approval from Principal.
- Students with a desire to learn more about science and to have fun !
- Parent or teacher volunteers as Event Coaches
- Science Olympiad builds skills in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
- Students can experience interesting subjects beyond their grade level.
- The program is structured to promote parent involvement.
- Science Olympiad provides recognition for student achievement.
Why would my kids want to be on a Science Olympiad team?
- We make science fun.
- They'll build strong friendships on a team.
- The tournament is exciting!
- High School students can earn scholarships.
- Students can explore potential careers and consider if a science-based career might be right for them.
What is required to participate?
- Each team needs a head coach.
- Elementary team will consist of various event teams. Each school can form one or more event teams for the WOSO district competition
- For Macomb Elementary County competition team will have up to 16 students.
- Middle or high school teams can register 15 students on their team.
- Many events require support materials.
- Event coaches are a great help.
Who sponsors National Science Olympiad?
- Lockheed Martin
- Army ROTC
- Ward's Science
- National Marine Sanctuary Foundation
- Texas Instruments
- United States Airfoce
- Discovery Channel
- and many more organizations
Who participates in WOSO tournaments?
- Public and private schools from Wayne and Oakland counties
- Other schools may participate if space permits
How long does the season last?
- Teams register in the fall.
- Elementary coaches get trained by January.
- Kids and coaches prepare for several months; workshops are offered to help for some events.
- Some school districts host practice tournaments for elementary teams.
When and where is the tournament?
- The practice tournament for Wayne and Oakland elementary school teams will happen in Wayne/Oakland school.
- For 2014 eligible schools will participate in Macomb Science Olympiad which hosts an elementary science olympiad for 80 schools.
- For 2015 and later Wayne and Oakland schools will have their own tournament in Wayne/Oakland county facilities.
- The 2014 practice tournament for Wayne/Oakland elementary teams will happen in Apr 2014 at one of Wayne County schools.
I'm just starting a team. What help can I get?
- WOSO/Macomb Science Olympiad provides rule books, and workshops for coaches and kids. See the calendars in each section (elementary, secondary) of this website for more details.
- Be sure to attend informational meetings for the Head Coach.
- You can be mentored by an experienced coach.
- Community organizations provide workshops.
- Please refer to coach's handbook for elementary and one for secondary.
- Event rule clarifications are published on this website.
What are the elementary science olympaid events?
- The elementary tournament is comprised of 16 events.
- Please visit national science olympiad website for more information on Middle (Division B) and High (Division C) school events.
- The secondary tournament has 23 events each for middle and high schools.
- For additional information please visit Science Olympiad Wiki developed by various students, coaches and volunteers.
How do I register a team?
- 2014 district/practice tournament: We are working on logistics right now and we will publish more info very soon.
- 2015 WOSO: Visit http://wayneoaklandso.weebly.com/2015-tournament.html to pre-register your team.
Where do I get more information?
- National Science Olympiad Website
- Michigan State Science Olympiad Website
- Science Olympiad Wiki
- Macomb Science Olympiad Website
- Wayne-Oakland Website